Thursday, July 19, 2012

If Wishes Were Horses


My daughter was 15 when she recorded this one. (She is 25 now) So, while I find it a bit pitchy, the words are discernible.  Plus this is one of my earliest lyrics and I just wanted it to rhyme more than I wanted to make any point...Now, when I look at reminiscing I see what a blessing that is.  Click on the song Page link in the side bar if you care to give it a listen♫  Linking to letter I for Alphabe-Thursday.

And I would be remiss if I didn't take this opportunity to announce my just published novel!!
MILLENNIUM GIRL is a Sci Fi piece looking at a thousand years on one planet looking through the eyes of primarily one girl.  The link in the side bar takes you to it's Kindle edition, but is available as a paperback and hardcover at all the regular outlets♪

1. My mother always told me of story book rhymes.
They seemed to hearten her and I liked the good times.
We’d fill our heads with all of the easy anecdotes.
They all come back to me like a fuzzy warm house coat.
My mother’d say…

Refrain:
If wishes were horses then beggars could ride.
Now all these verses hide in my memory alive.
Like rich man, and poor man, and beggarman, thief,
Doctor, and lawyer, and the merchant chief.
Oh what a tangled web we weave
When we practice to deceive.

2. Mother always watched all the movie musicals.
We’d curl up on the couch and enjoy the guys and gals.
My head was always filled with romantic comedies.
They all come back to me like a cure-all remedy.
I hear her say… (refrain)

We are the only ones that we deceive.
When we get caught up in memories.
Oh what a tangled web we weave
When we practice to deceive.
~
We are the only ones that we deceive.
When we get caught up in memories.

3. Mother always read all the romance novelettes.
She would laugh out loud at the hero’s fumbled mess.
She lived all of her life in her house vicariously.
Now all she has in store is a faulty memory.
She’d always say….(refrain)

We are the only ones that we deceive.
When we get caught up in memories.
Oh what a tangled web we weave
When we practice to deceive.


10 comments:

  1. Nice lyrics and music! Probably would sound quite different if she recorded it again today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those lyrics! And congratulations on publishing!! What an accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you're right, wonderful letter ... If Wishes Were Horses. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear friend,
    The song really made me smile. I think Claudia were right, it would sound quite different today. You have a way with words my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great song and love the beat. I too would love to hear her sing it again now that she older.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great lyrics and I loved hearing it sung. Would be fun to hear it sung by her now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great hearing your song! And congrats. on your new novel. {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your novel sounds fun. I am going to try and order it now! I'm having trouble finding the button for the song, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I scrolled down through the playlist and I can't find the song. I love that song, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your books sounds great! I just ordered it in paperback! I'm still clinging to physical books! ha!

    ReplyDelete